Saturday, May 7, 2011

Saturday in Beijing

I went shopping for groceries this morning with some friends at the apartment building who have a car and driver. They took me to the Carrefore Store - French version of Wal-mart. I picked up a few big items - nice to have a car. Then they took me to Sanyuanli, the wet market. I got some steaks, pork chops, chicken breasts, and a pork loin all for $20. Great quality meats. I froze it all for the company I have coming in 2 weeks. Matt and Marisa Rascon are traveling up from near Shanghai to spend 5 days in BJ the last weekend of the month. I also bought some bulk nuts and vegetables. Prices are much better than in the regular stores. Tonight I am fixing steak, baked potato and corn on the cob for myself.

In the afternoon we went to the east side of town to the furniture district. There are some very interesting shops there that I would have liked to have explored longer. I posted a photo of some huge petrified tree trunks - they were taller then me. That store had amazing rock and fossils for sale. The ammonites in the photo are about 24" tall, they were asking $4200 for them, a bit too much.

I have to speak in church tomorrow on the influence my mother had on my life. She was able to keep me out of prison so that was a big accomplishment! We were the kids that everyone would shake their heads and say "well I know in their hearts they are good kids". This is what adults say about kids that are on the verge of either going to prison or getting killed by their own stupid actions. How we managed to not blow ourselves up with homemade gunpowder or burn down he neighborhood I'll never know. Gladly my kids were much better than I ever was, that is because they had a great mother who stayed home with them and acted as warden.

3 comments:

M and W said...

Boy did she act as warden! ;) Good luck with the talk! Let us know how it went. Brother Wood's daughter and son-in-law are moving to Beijing in August. I told her to look you up. Ashley is really nice and mom would love her. Do they have wal-marts in China? I miss and love you! Take care of yourself!

Anna said...

Sonds like you have been super busy this last week! I am so jealous of Matt and his wife. I just heard that they changed the rules on babies-they can't fly free anymore you have to buythem a ticket. That stinks cause we are planning on getting out there some day...

Do you have a copy of your talk? I bet Grandma would like it. Me too.


So did you get pigs feet to cook for yur guests?

Tonia said...

Ben spoke on Mothers Day too. Really nice talk about Terry. I forgot to tell her. Looks like you are having new experiences!